Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. View model metadata (tables, relationships, columns, measures) for all models across a tenant

I would like to be able to query the tables, columns, DAX calculations (columns and measures), and data source queries for datasets published to PowerBI.com. This would allow me to determine if I have many similar models that could be combined, or if I have multiple models defining the "same metric" differently. Having this information would help manage usage of space in Power BI and provide information for organizations to see where they are perhaps in need of master data management (or simply conversations about data definitions). If we could combine this metadata with usage information (which datasets are used,…

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Set Column Widths

Allow user to set column widths en masse. Ideally for each variable. For instance, I have sales and market share for each of ten years. If I am not good with the auto set width, rather than having to manually modify the width for each year, I should be able to either enter a width for the field OR manually change one and have the other years follow suit. Either would be helpful, rather than visually setting the widths and hoping I have them equal.

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow Azure AD guest accounts to select Power BI tenant during login

Our large worldwide organization has multiple Azure AD tenants and we are using Azure AD B2B and guest accounts extensively. We have a need to create multiple PBI tenants but we do not want to maintain local Azure AD accounts to be able to use full functionality of Power BI. Please enable full support for guest accounts in Power BI and allow a guest account to login to a different PBI tenant than the original PBI tenant tied to the primary account in the source AD tenant. Regards

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Spotlighting multiple things in a page

It would make it cool to spotlight multiple things in a page so when you bookmark, youre not just looking at one visual.

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. scatter plot doesn't understand time ?

Currently (Nov '16) scatter plot does not accept time (date/time not just date) as a valid axis (line plot does!) - is there a reason why ?
    This is basic functionality for any time series visualisation of sampled data where you don't want to draw lines where data is missing.

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Conditional formatting for dimensions

It’s good that you added it, but it’s really some basic alpha-beta level only, in my opinion. It should enable the users to conditionally-format also the dimensions (Attributes) and not only measures (Metrics).

For example I have got a report with Revenue $ by region (AMER / EMEA / APJ) and i want the colors of the whole row / column / field to be cahnged based on the Region dimension OR Revenue measure).
    Today, we can do only set up a simple conditions to measures.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. tooltip should show more than 10 rows

Today, the tooltip on charts (like line charts, area charts) will only show 10 rows. So if you have more than 10 series, they are never shown on the tooltip :-(

Best if the tooltip had no limit, or the limit was configurable in the visualization Format options.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Rename publish to web

The publish to web feature, while useful, leads to confusion around those new to platform and possibly non native English speakers. The terminology "publish to web" can be confused by instructions to publish report from desktop to web service, which is fine. Publish to web exposes sensitive business data if author is not careful. While there is a secure option that will be coming soon, I propose renaming the feature to "Publish to Public". The term public is a bit clearer as to the audience. Alternative option could be "publish to public web", just something to allow users/businesses to clearly…

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. schedule powerpoint export

Category: Exports

We have the need to SCHEDULE report/dashboard exports in the form of PowerPoint slides and/or PDF's and send those exports to an email DL.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Subscriptions to Bookmarks

The bookmark feature looks great. Would it be useful if there is added functionality which allows subscriptions to be on bookmarks for a report?

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Hide the App Navigation Pane

Similarly to the Filter Pane, have the option to hide the new App navigation pane. Many of my reports are unreadable due to the size they are reformatted to when the App navigation pane is present.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Hierarchical App Workspace

Allow creation of Hierarchical App Workspace.
    This would enable us group related apps or create apps by environment.

The behavior of App Workspaces should be similar to folders where related content can be grouped and security restrictions can be applied

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Line/combo chart with markers only (no visible line)

The new markers and line style's are great, though there's one thing missing that I think could be almost trivial to implement given the work already done:

With marker available you should be able to make the connecting lines disappear.

That could be done be several roads like:
    Line Width = 0 or
    Line Transparency = 100% or
    Line Style = none.

Which given the whole thing is built on D3 I think would be super easy (though I could certainly be wrong).

For most charts, the markers act as excellent reference points, but the connecting lines mostly get in…

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Remove header space above textbox

The header or handle above a textbox should not take up extra vertical space like every visual. This extra vertical space makes it difficult to use textboxes as labels throughout the page. Consider a report page with a lot of visuals that have been meticulously positioned and aligned along with textboxes for labels, each having extra white space above them. Overlapping multiple visuals is cumbersome and confusing for users.
    If I need to add a title in the top of the page, the space above the textbox is wasted.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Remove SHARE ITEM

Remove the icon to share a report when it is published on the web.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Bug- In PBI Desktop, when typing a title, the cursor jumps from the title text box to another point on the page. This happens everytime when

This is a bug report since I couldn't find an easy way to report bugs from the PBI desktop nor the website. In PBI Desktop, when typing a title, the cursor jumps from the title text box to another point on the page after so many characters are typed. This happens everytime when I am trying to type in a title. Please fix.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. add shapefile to Map visual

Please add the ability to add a background shapefile to the Map Visual. For instance, in electric transmission usage, the ability to add transmission lines and facilities to the map when looking at electric demand in map view would be extremely helpful.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Conditional Email Notifications

It would be great if we could set triggers for emails to be sent to specific people when a specific condition is met within the data. For example, if a KPI was below a certain percentage, a tailored email could be sent at point of data refresh (once per day/period) to let them know that something needs their attention. This email ping could be tailored design by the developer and set in accordance to the data 'problem areas' once they are below a certain threshold.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Specify parameters values in the PBI Service

Hi there.

I'd like to request you to include an option which allows the user to specify the parameters values in the PBI Service, as well as it's possible in the PBI Desktop.

Thanks.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Seamless version control of queries, data model structure, measures

Could we add seamless import/export of the query/data model/measure definitions in text format for use with version control such as GIT?

Right now the queries are all defined as text, tables could be easily defined as field names, field type, and formula for added columns, and measures are just text. Relationships can be exported as a list. This should be 'simple'.

But we also need a seamless import -- import the queries, data model structure, measures from text.

The data wouldn't be part of this as it would be imported by running the queries.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.