Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. gateway log on

It should be possible to select the service account prior to installation. The installation fails due to the fact that the NT SERVCE PBIEgwService does not have log in as service privileges, because only Network Service has.

Since the installation fails, without creating the service or the installation folder, I have no way to change the service user. (Or install the gateway, without going through external vendors to set local group policy).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please allow for for My SQL connections in the gateway to work without a password to the My SQL database.

Please allow for My SQL connections in the gateway to work without a password to the My SQL database. I am working with a dental application and the default is for no password to MySQL. There are user level passwords however. thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Use correct column names when viewing a Power BI report on a phone

Renamed column names are not shown when viewing a "Phone View" on a mobile device. The original column names are shown. The preview on the desktop shows the renamed columns but when viewing them on an actual phones the original column names are shown.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add Source with RScripts in Gateway

In powerBI desktop, we can using Rscipts as a source data to design dashboard. However i can add data source Rscripts in gateway thus cant refesh data in powerbi web after i published from PowerBI Desktop.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Refresh pbi with multiple data source / excel files from folder with on-prem data gateway

The refresh of a pbi with multiple data sources and excel files from aharepoint folders currently only refreshes using a personal gateway. Please make it possible to schedule a refresh using the on prem data gateway. Thanks!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. More controle on the data refresh schedule. Currently, you can only schedule on the hour or 30 minutes and you can only scedule up to 6

More control on the data refresh schedule. Currently, you can only schedule on the hour or 30 minutes and you can only schedule up to 6 per day

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. On Premise Gateway Connection Issue Flag

Each time we publish a PBI report and try and schedule the refreshes, we need to connect to the on premise gateway. For larger reports with multiple tables and sources it can be very time consuming identifying the source of what is stopping the gateway going live for that dataset.

Could a change be made where PBI tells us what connections it isn't recognizing when trying to set up refresh times?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. We need a hourly update

We want to update our reports automatically once an hour

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Publicação em servidores internos

Trabalho um uma empresa onde não é permitido publicar os dashboards por questões de segurança e sensibilidade dos dados. Uma boa atualização seria a opção de publicar em servidores internos da empresa. Ex AZure

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Gateway requests targeting SSAS should include a source property for cache refreshes

We have reports that are consuming data from tabular models on on-premises Analysis Services. And we're using Power BI Embedded, and we're specifying the EffectiveUserName property when obtaining the embed token.

In conjunction with this, we're required to log users who are accessing the on-premises servers and tabular models. And extended events provide most of the necessary data we need to measure. We're continually loading this data to a database and analyzing it.

The problem is that the data include requests/queries that are being executed by the Power BI service from dataset and report cache refreshes. According to Josh Caplan…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. PowerbI desktop gateway support

PowerBI should be able to use the data sources setup under the Gateway instead of local.

This will allow us to prevent direct access from end user workstation to the DB server over custom ports.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Gateway at SQL Server Level

We should not have to setup a Gateway under a cluster for each database connected in the PBIX file. One for each SQL server should suffice. This is way too taxing on admin resources.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add Data Source (TABLE LEVEL) in Enterprise Gateway

As of now you cannot add a data source at the Table level. You can only add a data source at the database level and that can be added only once on a gateway.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. personal gateway run as a service

We desperately need personal GTW to run as a service
    Because of a security rule that disconnects connections automatically after few hours, I find myself getting into the server again and again, logging into the personal gtw, and only then able to refresh my data set.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Gateway Window to run on the background

This is something I discussed with Mike shelton, currently the gateway window is always on the desktop for the gateway to be online. It would be nice to have this window run on the background instead of on screen. It takes up the real estate of the desktop.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Connection to Epicollect 5 Database (Private and Public)

To be able to connect to Epicollect 5 (name of website and App for data collection) to power BI (Desktop and Service).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Updating data source/dashboard/report

It is very problematic when you create a report/dashboard in Power BI Desktop then publish it to your workspace, then you have to make an update in Desktop, publish again then try to refresh in your workspace but actually you have to go to a 3rd place (gateway) to update the data source. Now we're doing too much.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Regarding the enforced setting of HTTPS communication of On-premise Data Gateway

Although I am aware that the enforced setting of HTTPS communication is to be performed after installing On-premise Data Gateway, I hope its Installer to be improved so as to execute its setting during installing
    in order to give higher priority to the enforced HTTPS communication resulted from the security improvement along with the end of support for TLS1.0 having begun since Nov 2017.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Enterprise Gateway Limitations

Enterprise/Personal Gateways Schedule Refresh

I would like to schedule auto refreshes for import connections via an enterprise gateway to SQL Server Analysis Services.

In my pbix file, I am connected to a SQL Server Analysis Service (import mode) via an enterprise gateway and an Azure SQL databases via a personal gateway. I would like to schedule auto refreshes for all data source within PowerBI Service. I cannot schedule auto refreshes due to PowerBI limitations. If i create a live connection to the SQL Server Analysis Services, I can schedule auto refreshes, but cannot overlay data from the Azure SQL Database.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Logon screen for SQL in Direct query mode

Is possible , when use Direct query mode, to popup SQL logon screen for user to logon on SQL database? And propagate user/password to DB.
    And choose will user logon each time when start PBI session, or once for each user (with possibility to reopen logon screen if connection/logon is failed).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.