Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. OOTB option to disable DirectQuery currently on Power BI service

As a Power BI administrator I want disable the functionality Direct Query when configure a Data Source using an On Premises Data Gateway.

Example:
    I've a connection to Oracle but we want to be able to avoid Direct Query, just import of the information in the Cloud.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable OAuth for custom connectors published on enterprise gateway.

It is currently put there as a bullet on limitations list. Why? Can anyone at least explain why OAuth is available on personal GW but not enterprise?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Gateway deletion

Considering that a Gateway is very easy to be removed by human error, Will be considered in the next Gateway releases implement some deletion method (similar to the one used in Azure Portal for resources where you need to type the name of the resource as a security measure)? What happens if a gateway is deleted from the Power BI service? I'll not be able to recovery anymore right?
    At least consider in having the two functionalities ( Add Data Source / Remove) separated from the gateway “right click” options.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Map User Name on Gateway for SAAS in Workgroup Server

We can typically connect via the Gateway to Analysis Services installed on a server outside a domain. But I can not create a dataset. It would be great to be able to map the user to a user in the SERVER\user format. I do not understand why I can not use the gateway if Microsoft allows me to install SQL into Workgroup. This does not make sense because I can install SQL into Workgroup and normally access using other clients. We have hundreds of potential customers today to use a solution built with PowerBI but we will not be able…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Cancellation of updates in progress via Gateways

Portuguese

Seria interessante nas atualizações agendadas e manuais via Gateways uma maneira de parar a atualização, temos várias situações que o carregamento fica lento ou instabilidade do nosso banco de dados e é necessário aguardar o tempo de time-out que no Premium é de 5 horas.
    Sugestão poderia ter um botão dentro do histórico de atualizações para cancelar a atualização que está em andamento.

English

It would be interesting in the scheduled updates and manuals via Gateways a way to stop the update, we have several situations that the loading is slow or instability of our database and it is…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Incremental update working with paramaterized database names

I need to change the database in the Power Bi Server using a parameter (Impala database). Incremental update fails hard. Cannot even set it up.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. enter credentials once or at least attempt to apply them to all "invalid" sources

When I setup a gateway for a data set - I am asked to validate credentials to the n datasources it connects to - in this set I have about 15 separate files and folders - and I need to refresh each one. in my case, all my files are in sharepoint, so it would be fantastic if I could have the option to tell it to apply credentials to all outstanding items

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Set SAP BW language code

Can you please add the possibility to set the language code of the SAP BW connection (as you can in desktop) when scheduling through a personal gateway. I have to set the regional settings of my computer to English (United states) for my gateway to send the correct language. If I use my preferred settings I get an error.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Oracle realtime at gateway

Create a possibility to set a realtime gateway for Oracle DB.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Installation of On-premise Gateway Trobleshooting

Another way to handle error 1603 during installation is execute it as administrator option on the right click menu.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Enabled Kerberos Constrained Delegation between domains and forests

Currently, a limitation of Kerberos Constrained Delegation is that the service account the PowerBI Gateway is running with has to be in the same domain as the user account that KCD is performed for.
    Since we have separate resource (where PBIGW is in) and user domains, it is currently not possible to perform KCD for us.
    Please support cross domain KCD for PBIGW and preferrably also cross forest to be able to login with account on a PBIGW in another forest with which our forest has a trust.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Ti japim Paqen Botes !

Stop Luftes dhe Varferise ne Bote,duani njeri-tjetrin,sepse kjo jete qe po jetoni...eshte thjeshte nje pasazhe per nje jete me te mire ne AMSHIM !

JESUS CHRIST

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Round-robin Database connector

It would be useful to have a Round-robin Database connector

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Provide Multi-Subnet Support for Power BI on Microsoft Data Gateway

we have a Microsoft SQL Always On setup that span across 2 DC that is on diff subnet. Since this is a standard Microsoft solution, I am abit surprise there is no support for SQL Always On with Multisubnet configuration

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Couldn't load the data for this visual

Does anybody know how to resolve this error please?

Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual. Please try again later.
    Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
    Activity ID: 3fbeeccc-fa65-4273-aaaa-c0524cd5d3c6
    Request ID: 579088fc-e074-a08e-c7f2-8cf97689489c
    Correlation ID: 5b768f65-09cd-dccd-b549-9b165540aa19
    Time: Sat Sep 22 2018 16:00:32 GMT+0100 (British Summer Time)
    Version: 13.0.6700.191
    Cluster URI: https://wabi-uk-south-redirect.analysis.windows.net

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Installation of On-premise Gateway Trobleshooting

Another way to handle error 1603 during installation is execute as administrator option on the right click menu.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. In Oracle Data Source doc, specify that PBIEgwService MUST be restarted before it will work.

In this doc:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem-manage-oracle

Please add a notice that "After the Oracle ODAC is installed, the PBIEgwService Windows Service MUST be restarted, either from the On Premises Gateway app or from from Powershell : Stop-service PBIEgwService
    Start-service PBIEgwService

--

Thanks!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Gateway node timeout causes cluster failure

When a gateway node in a cluster is locked up on the host PC, the Power BI service reports a timeout error. The problem is the service just gives up at that point instead of going to another node. The node isn't dead/offline, but it just isn't responding properly (which is another issue to be sure), but if that happens, instead of the report failing and timing out, it should look for another node.

You can see some raw details in this thread. http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Gateway-node-timed-out-service-didn-t-use-other-nodes-in-cluster/m-p/458153/highlight/true#M18239

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Fix fast combine documentation

The documentation at
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-personal-mode
    includes instructions on re-enabling 'fast combine' for the gateway in personal mode, but the code excerpt includes apostrophes at the end of line , and this causes an error;

<setting name="EnableFastCombine" serializeAs="String">```
    <value>true</value>
    </setting>

The correct excerpt does not include the three apostrophes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Minimum requirements for On-premises Data Gateway

The minimum requirements of On-premises Data Gateway can not be clearly judged with the following URL contents.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem#requirements
    -----
    # Is it necessary for installation?
    # When using DirectQuery?
    # Were they "Data import"?
    # Estimated number of connected people, etc.
    -----
    I would like to clearly present to users.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.