Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Consolidate Duplicate Datasources

Currently, a new data source is created within the Power BI service for every new Power BI report published through Power BI Desktop. A new data source is created even when the same data source from an existing report has already been created within the Power BI service.

This is most evident when you have created multiple Power BI reports from the same Enterprise Gateway (SSAS Tabular in my example) data source. We could have 5 different reports analysing data from the same model, which ends up being 5 duplicated data sources. This can end up in a mess when…

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Update Excel-based data connections when updating Excel data source

Using Excel as a plug-n-play adapter to unsupported data sources is great, but if Power BI could use the built in Office API and simply run an "Update All" in the Excel data source before then pulling the data to Power BI, it could vastly increase the usefulness of this work-around, and permit a lot more connectivity to unsupported sources of data for Power BI.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. SSL Certificate on MySQL connection

Enabling option to apply SSL certificate to secure connection to MySQL database

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow Enterprise Gateway authentication to on-premise SSAS to lookup Mail entry in Active Directory Mail in addition to UPN

Many organizations have different usernames in the UPN of the on-premises Active Directory than what is set in Azure Active Directory. The Enterprise Gateway User Mapping feature provides a way to textually substitute the azure.username@azuredomain in the effective username with local.username@localdomain, but this would have to be done for every single user desiring access to SSAS, which is untenable on a large scale. Since the azure.username is very often the same as the email username, allowing a Mail entry lookup (combined with a User Mapping to textually substitute domains), would provide a means for more scalable user authentication.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. On-premises data gateway full download link

Most enterprises, if outbound internet traffic is allowed from servers, will not allow basic HTTP (unencrypted) traffic. The new installation download link at https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=820925&clcid=0x409 appears to point you to a small installer program that then attempts to download the larger installation media, which will fail from servers not allowing regular HTTP outbound.

It appears you can still download the full offline installer from the Microsoft download center here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53127 , however it's a bit annoying to have to go find it that way.

It would be helpful to have a full installer link on the same download page you get…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enterprise gateway compatible with Linux Database Server (oracle)

Will Enterprise gateway be compatible with other OS System in future, in our case for Linux Database Server (oracle DB on Linux)

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. clean up datasets- only one dataset for the same connection

When publishing reports from power bi desktop it publishes a dataset for each of those reports naming them what that report is called rather than what the gateway is called. We would want it so if several reports are using the same enterprise gateway- they would all use that particular dataset rather than create a nother one. This makes the datasets confusing and a little difficult to find. If i produce 5 reports based on one tabular model- there should only be one dataset as they are all connecting to the same gateway?

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Automation of Gateway password

The password for the security account that is tied to the machine where we have power bi gateway installed needs to be updated every 60-70 days. Instead of someone manually doing this can this be done with powershell scripting or some other way to avoid any human error.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow the enterprise gateway to wild card source for URLs.

Currently today if you want to use the enterprise gateway on URLs in a power bi file you need to add each full url to the enterprise gateway. For example: www.sources.com/files/data1.csv and www.sources.com/files/data2.csv both need to be added to the enterprise gateway, vs. www.sources.com/files/.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add proxy configuration to Power BI ENterprise Gateway install routine

Instead of manually adding proxy server settings to the xml files, it should be possible to configure/enter proxy server settings when installing the Power BI Enterprise Gateway.
    (..and please add idea category 'Infrastructure')

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. landing page

When we enter into a gateway environment or even our own workspace to see reports, the landing page that displays the welcome dashboard is customizable, but it doesn't appear you can click and drag it so you can actually see the reports better on the navigation window on the left. Can we move from a static welcome page to dynamic (stretchable) so that I can see full name titles? I noticed that you can click and make it take up the whole screen, but the reverse isn't true. How about 'Enter Small Screen Mode' or something.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Serverless Power BI Gateway on Azure Functions

It would be great to see Power BI Gateway as an event-triggered Azure Function.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Gateway data source menu dots

It took me quite a long time to find out how to delete data source in the gateway management. Then I noticed, that there are three very tiny dots (my eyesight is in good shape), which I can use to delete data source. It would be much more friendly if the dots were bigger :)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Include Report and/or Dashboard name in XMLA RequestProperties

We run all of our PowerBI reports against SSAS where we control data security via DAX filters.
    Using ASTrace (Codeplex) we assess query performance and user logins (from EffectiveUserName property).
    However we can't tell which Power BI reports are being used.
    Including the report name or guid in the XMLA PropertyList would allow us to analyse Power BI report usage, peak loads and popularity of reports.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Load Balance Power BI Gateway

say I have many SSAS Tabular servers, each running the same SSAS tabular databases, then I use Azure AD and Azure load balance service to load balance these servers. Now from Power BI, I need a way to have a relationship of 1 Power BI gateway to many connections, one to each SSAS Tabular Server. this way, my users from the Power BI dashboard can have their queries load balanced (by policies set up by load balancer) and perhaps round robin across the connections - probably easiest to do.

65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Group Workspace Schedule Refrersh

Right now, every data set has to manually be scheduled for refresh. It would save a lot of time if you could schedule a refresh for an entire group that way you do not have to schedule a refresh every time a new data set is added.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Enterprise Data Control within the Gateway

Enterprise level controls and audit for what is flowing thru the Enterprise gateway. This would include blocking (black list) access to servers or database. If we have a privacy data source which we do not want expose to PowerBI externally from the company. This might have attributes such as preventing certain columns or tables from being passed thru the gateway. Or it might be controlled at the database or server level.

Additionally, the classification (public/private/confidential) of the data could also be edited into the data connections. In future iterations, a rule based set of classification could dynamically be applied to…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Percentage format support in clustered bar chart for live connection

Percentage format support in clustered bar chart for live connection. Obviously possibility to display percentage values in other charts is welcomed as well.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Personal Gateway Scheduling Enhancements

The "Schedule Refresh" section of the Personal Gateway could be improved. Here are a few suggestions:

1. "Schedule Refresh" only supports "Daily" and "Weekly". I would like for it to support "Every XXX Minutes", "Hourly", and "Monthly".

2. Datasets do not support multiple schedules like a SQL Server agent job. You can basically define one schedule with up to 8 times. I would like more flexibility with scheduling.

3. The maximum number of times you can specify is 8. I want the refresh the data once every hour, but with only 8 options, the most I can do with this…

104 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow Manual Selection of Gateway for Data Source Refresh

When a user tries to schedule a data set for Excel refresh, the power bi website looks for the gateways set up with the data sources having same Excel paths. Even though it might sound convenient for the users, it creates lots of headache for administration. For example, I had machine crashed and rebuilt and the original gateway lost, or multiple gateways shows the same path in my attempt to recover.

How about we allow the user to specify one gateway specifically and do not match the gateway behind the scene to decide what gateway to show and what not…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.