Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Load Balance Power BI Gateway

say I have many SSAS Tabular servers, each running the same SSAS tabular databases, then I use Azure AD and Azure load balance service to load balance these servers. Now from Power BI, I need a way to have a relationship of 1 Power BI gateway to many connections, one to each SSAS Tabular Server. this way, my users from the Power BI dashboard can have their queries load balanced (by policies set up by load balancer) and perhaps round robin across the connections - probably easiest to do.

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Group Workspace Schedule Refrersh

Right now, every data set has to manually be scheduled for refresh. It would save a lot of time if you could schedule a refresh for an entire group that way you do not have to schedule a refresh every time a new data set is added.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enterprise Data Control within the Gateway

Enterprise level controls and audit for what is flowing thru the Enterprise gateway. This would include blocking (black list) access to servers or database. If we have a privacy data source which we do not want expose to PowerBI externally from the company. This might have attributes such as preventing certain columns or tables from being passed thru the gateway. Or it might be controlled at the database or server level.

Additionally, the classification (public/private/confidential) of the data could also be edited into the data connections. In future iterations, a rule based set of classification could dynamically be applied to…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Personal Gateway Scheduling Enhancements

The "Schedule Refresh" section of the Personal Gateway could be improved. Here are a few suggestions:

1. "Schedule Refresh" only supports "Daily" and "Weekly". I would like for it to support "Every XXX Minutes", "Hourly", and "Monthly".

2. Datasets do not support multiple schedules like a SQL Server agent job. You can basically define one schedule with up to 8 times. I would like more flexibility with scheduling.

3. The maximum number of times you can specify is 8. I want the refresh the data once every hour, but with only 8 options, the most I can do with this…

104 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow Manual Selection of Gateway for Data Source Refresh

When a user tries to schedule a data set for Excel refresh, the power bi website looks for the gateways set up with the data sources having same Excel paths. Even though it might sound convenient for the users, it creates lots of headache for administration. For example, I had machine crashed and rebuilt and the original gateway lost, or multiple gateways shows the same path in my attempt to recover.

How about we allow the user to specify one gateway specifically and do not match the gateway behind the scene to decide what gateway to show and what not…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Percentage format support in clustered bar chart for live connection

Percentage format support in clustered bar chart for live connection. Obviously possibility to display percentage values in other charts is welcomed as well.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Enterprise gateway to support OData string with function call

Right now Enterprise gateway only supports OData string to the root service, it fails with function call in the Odata string, please add support for that.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Gateway Connections Error Report

Sometimes the enterprise gateway isn't an available option in the datasets settings menu eventhough all the datasources have been added. There should be an error or status box indicating what specifically is causing the Ent. Gateway from not being an option.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. No notification mechanism in cloud if gateway goes offline

We have to keep on monitoring at regular intervals which is difficult. It would be good if we get notification from cloud if gateway goes offline.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Can Power Bi connect to the azure SQL federations using DirectQuery? what are the alternate options?

How to connect to the Azure SQL federation from Power BI for multi-tenancy implementation? Can we connect using DirectQuery?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. PowerBI personal gateway available through MSDN

PowerBI personal gateway available through MSDN

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Better gateway / connectivity messages

When using the enterprise gateway, I was getting a message "the gateway server may be unavailable..." which was completely not the case. The issue turned out to be that a connection setting was missing.

In general, the gateway interface in the service needs much better messaging. It would be really excellent if I could go in to a given dataset, open up the scheduling options, and see each of the connections listed in the dataset - along with whether it matched up to an existing gateway connection, and if it was successful.

I would also like to be able to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add Exasol to Gateway Data sources for Live/DirectQuery

Given that Exasol now has a certified connector to Power BI, please add Exasol to the list of data sources that support Live/DirectQuery in Gateway, in order to give maximum performance for this in-memory DB and so benefit Power BI users for Enterprise ready solutions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. OOTB option to disable DirectQuery currently on Power BI service

As a Power BI administrator I want disable the functionality Direct Query when configure a Data Source using an On Premises Data Gateway.

Example:
    I've a connection to Oracle but we want to be able to avoid Direct Query, just import of the information in the Cloud.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Enable OAuth for custom connectors published on enterprise gateway.

It is currently put there as a bullet on limitations list. Why? Can anyone at least explain why OAuth is available on personal GW but not enterprise?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Gateway deletion

Considering that a Gateway is very easy to be removed by human error, Will be considered in the next Gateway releases implement some deletion method (similar to the one used in Azure Portal for resources where you need to type the name of the resource as a security measure)? What happens if a gateway is deleted from the Power BI service? I'll not be able to recovery anymore right?
    At least consider in having the two functionalities ( Add Data Source / Remove) separated from the gateway “right click” options.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Map User Name on Gateway for SAAS in Workgroup Server

We can typically connect via the Gateway to Analysis Services installed on a server outside a domain. But I can not create a dataset. It would be great to be able to map the user to a user in the SERVER\user format. I do not understand why I can not use the gateway if Microsoft allows me to install SQL into Workgroup. This does not make sense because I can install SQL into Workgroup and normally access using other clients. We have hundreds of potential customers today to use a solution built with PowerBI but we will not be able…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Cancellation of updates in progress via Gateways

Portuguese

Seria interessante nas atualizações agendadas e manuais via Gateways uma maneira de parar a atualização, temos várias situações que o carregamento fica lento ou instabilidade do nosso banco de dados e é necessário aguardar o tempo de time-out que no Premium é de 5 horas.
    Sugestão poderia ter um botão dentro do histórico de atualizações para cancelar a atualização que está em andamento.

English

It would be interesting in the scheduled updates and manuals via Gateways a way to stop the update, we have several situations that the loading is slow or instability of our database and it is…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Incremental update working with paramaterized database names

I need to change the database in the Power Bi Server using a parameter (Impala database). Incremental update fails hard. Cannot even set it up.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. enter credentials once or at least attempt to apply them to all "invalid" sources

When I setup a gateway for a data set - I am asked to validate credentials to the n datasources it connects to - in this set I have about 15 separate files and folders - and I need to refresh each one. in my case, all my files are in sharepoint, so it would be fantastic if I could have the option to tell it to apply credentials to all outstanding items

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.