Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Combine enterprise gateway and online data sources

At this time, a gateway will not function properly if you are using data sources and one is online and one is on-prem. As soon as the online data source is added, the gateway is designed to gray out because Power BI interprets that it is no longer needed. I would like to be able to combine data sources from both on-prem and online sources together with the use of gateways.

999 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      42 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for suggestion this and all your comments. We’ve added this feature to our backlog but can’t share an ETA on when it’ll be delivered for now.
      The current workaround we’ve been suggesting is to use the personal gateway to combine on-prem with online data sources.
      I’ll update the status once this work has started. Meanwhile, keep voting and adding other ideas to improve the gateway.

• Power Query functions in URL using a web data source under on-premise data gateway

Add the ability to use Power Query functions in the source string not only for the PowerBI Desktop, but also to on-premise data gate
      Now It's not supported to type Power Query functions as web URL when we create a web data source under on-premise data gateway

593 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        8 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • PostgreSql Datasource for Enterprise Gateway

Any chance of connecting to PostgreSQL data Source with the new Enterprise Gateway, we can with the Personal Gateway, but really need the Enterprise Gateway

385 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          10 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Data Modelling when connecting to SSAS Tabular

We need to be able to mashup data online with enterprise data in a SSAS cube. To do this, we'll need the data modelling feature accessible when connecting to SSAS Tabular.

139 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            5 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Personal Gateway Scheduling Enhancements

The "Schedule Refresh" section of the Personal Gateway could be improved. Here are a few suggestions:

1. "Schedule Refresh" only supports "Daily" and "Weekly". I would like for it to support "Every XXX Minutes", "Hourly", and "Monthly".

2. Datasets do not support multiple schedules like a SQL Server agent job. You can basically define one schedule with up to 8 times. I would like more flexibility with scheduling.

3. The maximum number of times you can specify is 8. I want the refresh the data once every hour, but with only 8 options, the most I can do with this…

134 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              4 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Edit data sources in Enterprise Gateway

I want to be able to edit server & database setup in the Enterprise Gateway. Currently, I can add new ones, but not edit ones already setup.

125 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                6 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Move UPN mapping configuration to Enterprise Gateway level

Currently the UPN mapping configuration has to be set per data source.
                Let's say you have: 2 SSAS data models, you make a data source for each data model and a group of 30 users who have access to both data models.
                Then you are currently forced to duplicate the complete UPN mapping configuration for these 2 data sources in the gateway.
                Correct administration of the duplicate UPN mapping configurations will be very difficult.

It would be better to make the UPN mapping configuration an Enterprise Gateway level configuration.

I thought about making it a tenant-wide configuration, which makes sense.…

105 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  6 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Support for multiple instances of the On-premise data gateway on one server

We host data and tabular models for multiple customers on one server. Each need their own tenant with different domains. This in turn requires us to have multiple servers just to host the on-premise data gateway.

Would be great to be able to have multiple instances of the on-premise data gateway running on one server.

This I imagine would also be useful for testing/preprod deployments in smaller setups where a dedicated server just for the gateway is overkill.

85 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    5 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Enterprise Gateway - SSAS Tabular Live Schedule Refresh

Idea:
                    Please allow administrators to default new and existing reports to refresh at an interval or not at all for a gateway connection using SSAS live. The current implementation appears to issue a refresh of all reports when the cube has been processed or synchronized. This results in overwhelming the server with queries as our user base and number of reports grows. In addition, it would appear dashboards are treated as reports in their own right and refreshed separately. Please allow for a more granular control of these queries.
                    Problem:
                    Our company has over 150 people actively using Power BI…

82 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Add proxy configuration to Power BI ENterprise Gateway install routine

Instead of manually adding proxy server settings to the xml files, it should be possible to configure/enter proxy server settings when installing the Power BI Enterprise Gateway.
                      (..and please add idea category 'Infrastructure')

62 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        3 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Organizational Authentication for Enterprise Gateway

Enable Organization Authentication in the Enterprise Gateway. Currently any pbix in which I call an on-premises data source and one in either CRM Online or Sharepoint Online cannot use this enterprise gateway. This is a very regular occurrence, since I support a lot of CRM Online instances. Instead I have to continue to "rely" on the very unreliable Personal Gateway running on my laptop.

58 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Failover is not available with the current Enterprise Gateway, this make it challenging when we want to use EntGW in scale. High Availabili

Failover is not available with the current Enterprise Gateway, this make it challenging when we want to use EntGW in scale. High Availability critical aspect for company whom want to adopt PBI as enterprise solution. Please consider.

50 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Allow Power BI Gateways and Microsoft Data Management Gateway to be loaded on the same PC

I use both Power BI and Azure ML. Unfortunately I cannot connect to an on premises gateway with Azure ML because I have an Power BI Enterprise Gateway installed. To quote the gateway page "You can't run Data Management Gateway and Power BI Gateway on the same computer." Why Not? Doesn't Microsoft want me to develop both products? I need to be able to connect to both gateways this without having to go to another PC to do it. Allow Power BI Gateways and Microsoft Data Management Gateway to be loaded on the same PC.

45 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              2 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Route "Analyze in Excel" ODC through Power BI API & on-premises Gateway

When clicking "Analyze in Excel" on a dataset connected to an on-premise data source with the gateway, the ODC file generated points directly to the datasource rather than routing through the Power BI API like the in-model dataset does. This is generally a local connection string that would not work for external users. Also, it effectively circumvents the user name mappings we have created on the gateway data source. Ideally there would be an option on the dataset to have the ODC file either point directly to the datasource or route through the Power BI API & Gateway.

44 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                2 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Load Balance Power BI Gateway

say I have many SSAS Tabular servers, each running the same SSAS tabular databases, then I use Azure AD and Azure load balance service to load balance these servers. Now from Power BI, I need a way to have a relationship of 1 Power BI gateway to many connections, one to each SSAS Tabular Server. this way, my users from the Power BI dashboard can have their queries load balanced (by policies set up by load balancer) and perhaps round robin across the connections - probably easiest to do.

44 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Consolidate Duplicate Datasources

Currently, a new data source is created within the Power BI service for every new Power BI report published through Power BI Desktop. A new data source is created even when the same data source from an existing report has already been created within the Power BI service.

This is most evident when you have created multiple Power BI reports from the same Enterprise Gateway (SSAS Tabular in my example) data source. We could have 5 different reports analysing data from the same model, which ends up being 5 duplicated data sources. This can end up in a mess when…

44 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Excel Integration with Enterprise Gateway

For excel data that is put in PowerBI Desktop as a source, and then published to Power BI, you currently need a personal gateway to refresh that, as Power BI recognizes it as coming from an on-premise source, which requires the use of a gateway to refresh. Can this be enable for enterprise gateway as well please? Since at the enterprise level you are most likely to use enterprise gateways rather than personal gateways

42 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Gateway Update Notification and Auto update for Enterprise Gateway

We should be notified when there is a new version of both gateways. In addition, the Enterprise gateway should be updated automatically (admins should be able to turn this on/off).

41 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        3 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • clean up datasets- only one dataset for the same connection

When publishing reports from power bi desktop it publishes a dataset for each of those reports naming them what that report is called rather than what the gateway is called. We would want it so if several reports are using the same enterprise gateway- they would all use that particular dataset rather than create a nother one. This makes the datasets confusing and a little difficult to find. If i produce 5 reports based on one tabular model- there should only be one dataset as they are all connecting to the same gateway?

36 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Expose a PBI Gateway API for up/down monitoring

Expose an API to retrieve Gateways and test the connections so we can proactively monitor Gateway health. This way we could know a problem exists before our consumers do.

34 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.