Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Approval Process for Gateways / Prevent Personal Gateways

Build an approval process for Gateways before they become Active on a tenant. The approval process would be manged by the Power BI Admin. This approval process could be a feature the Power BI Admin can enable / disable, defaulting to disabled to retrain backward compatibility.

Current reality allows anyone with a Pro License to push any internal data they have access too to the service. With the right permission they can then push this data public without restrictions.

This feature is a must have in an Enterprise concerned about how data is used / managed. Just because some has…

19 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Gateway Management tool - CLI?

It is cumbersome to manage an Enterprise Gateway for 1000+ users using only the web gui. An ideal tool would be:
      1) fast to return and submit information - no waiting for the web gui to load.
      2) allow an admin to quickly add data sources & users, both one at a time and in bulk (perhaps by calling a function that takes a .csv of data as an input)
      3) allow an admin to audit datasources, e.g.: view encrypted credentials; see how many datasets are connected; see how often refreshes are run, and whether they're succesful; return the M…

25 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • To be able to rename an existing connection on On-Premisis Data Gateway

We are creating a naming convention for the data gateway connection. We have a challenge that existing connections are not comply with the naming convention. We are not able to rename them but only to delete existing connection and create new connections. This will cause downtime and also a complex procedure which is easily brings in mistakes.

We wish that we can have the ability to rename the connections on data gateway.

11 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Gateway requests targeting SSAS should include a source property for cache refreshes

We have reports that are consuming data from tabular models on on-premises Analysis Services. And we're using Power BI Embedded, and we're specifying the EffectiveUserName property when obtaining the embed token.

In conjunction with this, we're required to log users who are accessing the on-premises servers and tabular models. And extended events provide most of the necessary data we need to measure. We're continually loading this data to a database and analyzing it.

The problem is that the data include requests/queries that are being executed by the Power BI service from dataset and report cache refreshes. According to Josh Caplan…

4 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow multiple credentials for the same Database in Enterprise Gateway

Currently we get a "Duplicate data source" error when trying to create a second connection with different credentials to the same DB.
            The use case is where we have both sensitive and non-sensitive data in a SQL database. We'd like to create two connections to this DB, so that a superset of users can pulish non-sensitive data, but only those authorised can publish sensitive data.

42 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • personal gateway run as a service

We desperately need personal GTW to run as a service
              Because of a security rule that disconnects connections automatically after few hours, I find myself getting into the server again and again, logging into the personal gtw, and only then able to refresh my data set.

4 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Implement Live/DirectQuery for Postgres

Currently only scheduled refreshes are possible.

Please enable DirectQuery for Postgres in Enterprise and Personal Gateways so we can leverage Postgres db's running on Azure.

Thank you.

13 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Data Gateway SSO AD Authentication

Good morning,
                  An SSO support for AD in the Data Gateway should be a mandatory feature.
                  If you have an AD user with Office365 who authenticates with SSO, it cannot be possible to use the same account to configure the Data Gateway, because you are passed to an HTTP web request during the login process that concludes into an error.
                  In many companies, Office 365 users have a unique consolidated organizational account, managed at Corporate level with defined security rules and procedures that the affiliates are not able to overcome. When these users would like to integrate Analysis Services in…

2 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Regarding the enforced setting of HTTPS communication of On-premise Data Gateway

Although I am aware that the enforced setting of HTTPS communication is to be performed after installing On-premise Data Gateway, I hope its Installer to be improved so as to execute its setting during installing
                    in order to give higher priority to the enforced HTTPS communication resulted from the security improvement along with the end of support for TLS1.0 having begun since Nov 2017.

3 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Data Gateway Scheduled Refresh for On-Premise Data Sources Should Include Shorter Timeframes

Scheduled refresh currently has different time frames with the shortest being 15 mins. Some people require shorter time frames like 5 mins or 1 min. It'll be great to include this feature.

11 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Enterprise Gateway: Allow Map User Names to enable CustomData to used when Effective User Name needs rules.

Currently if you put a rule on the Effective User Names, it does not allow you to enable CustomData feature which also denies the ability to invoke rules as well to CustomData. It would great to let both set of rules be allowed together.
                        Use case: we need to minipulate Effective User Name due to UPN conversion or want to make all as a local service account, but also need to pass in Customdata as well to allow the ability to do some Dynamic RLS based on passing username through customdata.

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Logon screen for SQL in Direct query mode

Is possible , when use Direct query mode, to popup SQL logon screen for user to logon on SQL database? And propagate user/password to DB.
                          And choose will user logon each time when start PBI session, or once for each user (with possibility to reopen logon screen if connection/logon is failed).

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Excel Online and Power BI gateway

Make possible that Excel Online will try to use the Gateway to get data from on premise datasources. Currently you save a workbook to sharepoint online, a user tries to open it and it opens in excel online and he can not change the pivot table or refresh the connection

5 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Connection to Epicollect 5 Database (Private and Public)

To be able to connect to Epicollect 5 (name of website and App for data collection) to power BI (Desktop and Service).

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Option to disable parallel loading or limit data source connections.

Currently the on-premises gateway opens more Oracle connections that we have license for.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• OAuth to be made available for Enterprise Gateway

We are using Organizational account for connecting to OData feed in Power BI desktop. However, In Power BI service - OAuth authentication(which is required for Organization account) for adding the data source to Enterprise gateway is not yet available.
                                  The only workaround for adding such data sources is to add such data sources is to create an API.

Kindly enable Organization Authentication in the Enterprise Gateway which will ease such issues.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Updating data source/dashboard/report

It is very problematic when you create a report/dashboard in Power BI Desktop then publish it to your workspace, then you have to make an update in Desktop, publish again then try to refresh in your workspace but actually you have to go to a 3rd place (gateway) to update the data source. Now we're doing too much.

3 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• 我的账户登陆不了POWER BI桌面

我的账户登陆不了POWER BI桌面 登陆之后未响应 然后就提示继续登陆 移动版提示账户有问题

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Ability for authorized users of an Enterprise gateway connection to use credentials from that connection in Power BI desktop.

We would like to enable a large set of users to access an Oracle data warehouse that does not support AD authentication. Currently they access the EDW thru Hyperion IR with an embedded service account providing access to the data. In other words, access to the data is restricted by the application i.e. Hyperion vs by the database.

It would be awesome if these users could be authorized to the Enterprise gateway connection which was setup for this warehouse and then inherit the service account credentials saved in the gateway connection to connect to the warehouse from Power BI Desktop.…

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Create 'Global Table Refresh' structure

Each table used in at least one dashboard is set to refresh [needs an increase in options on this one] by a variable integer of hours, days, weeks, months, etc. Then any dashboards needing to connect to that table would be able to refresh as often as the table or less frequent, so that each table in the Gateway is only pinged once regardless of how many reports/dashboards it lives in. Also significantly reduces the number of 'GET' creations are needed if I have a 'STORE' of the GETs I use now already being refreshed.

4 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Power BI Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.