Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enhance Refresh Failed Email Notification to Inclue a Link to the Dataset

Include a link in the body of the Refresh Failed email notification to the actual dataset that failed in order to save time trying to figure out which workspace a dataset resides.

6 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • On Premises Data Gateway/Dataset - Email notification when failure improvment

I have just experienced a bad weekend return. All users complaining that their reports/dashboards were not operating anymore.

I quickly discovered that both On Premises Gateways (DEV and PROD) were "down", "Unable to connect: The gateway is either offline or could not be reached".

Microsoft support did not provide a reason, but instead suggested frequent update of the OPG, as well restart of the associated Services on the machines when something is going wrong.

I asked why should we wait for end users to complain, prior taking action, as PowerBI service knows there are some refresh issues, as this is…

7 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • database as optional in gateway

In Power BI service, in data gateway i want to add a new data source, so i choose "sql server" and because there are many databases i dont want to choose only one database. Why this field is not optional?

3 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Gateway on Linux, and Multiple Domain Account on one Gateway

We need:
          - create gateway for Linux (we have linux enterprice PCs, but we must have hole Windows-machine only for using Power BI GateWay)
          - add multiple accounts from different domain support (we cant create different pay subscriptions even we have several domains, so we must register separate subdomains. But in this case we have to use two gateways, and as result - two windows machines only for gateways)
          - add possibility to set custom emails for error notification after update error (now email notification after gateway update error not works)

2 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• App Workspace Report Level Permissions

Currently --- In an APP Workspace we can set APP Workspace permissions. "Members Can Edit Power BI Content" or "Members can only view Power BI Content".

We need to be able to set permissions on a Report (Individual R/W or R/O) to "lock down" the reports in case someone edits or deletes someone else's report. This would also allow creating a "Template" report that is R/O so that users could "Save AS" and use it to create their own. Default permission would be R/O for everyone except "Owner" and "Admin"

4 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Data Gateway Scheduled Refresh for On-Premise Data Sources Should Include Shorter Timeframes

Scheduled refresh currently has different time frames with the shortest being 15 mins. Some people require shorter time frames like 5 mins or 1 min. It'll be great to include this feature.

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• upn mapping with variable

upn mapping for Anlalyis Server is great, but it would make sense to work with variable or *
                example:
                giovanni@test.com --> domain\userread
                john@test.com --> domain\userread
                eva@test.com

could be replaced by one rule
                *@test.com --> domain\userread

this would reduce a lot of maintenance!

5 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Separating the roles of Power BI/Data Gateway administrator from the custodian of data connection

Currently, the person who can setup a data connection – entering “hard-coded” credentials – on a Data Gateway has to be also an administrator on the Gateway.

It means that either a Power BI admin has to have access to Data Connections (including sensitive data), or a Data Custodian has to become an admin on the Gateway (and be able to affect other “tenants”/data connections deployed on the same Gateway). Running a separate Gateway per each data connection is not economically feasible.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: Change the Data Connection object so that connection credentials can be stored outside of the Data…

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Disaster Recovery Plan

I do not feel comfortable with relying on a Key to be able to perform the restoration in case of failure. It would be more reliable to provide a second backup option to be able to restore in case a real disaster would happens. We have to maintain a separated database to save records of each data source setting. And for a big company this is something to think of..

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Quickly add feature that allows multiple user logins to same database

Currently, you can create a connection to an oracle database that has multiple schemas or logins with PBI desktop. You need a separate PBIX file for each, but you can do it and you can publish data after refreshing in the desktop.

The issue is that the OPDG will recognize the "one" database as a duplicate and not allow multiple logins that would otherwise serve as security for different sets of data.

Can you quickly add a feature that will allow multiple user logins to the same database?

In justifying the cost/benefit, consider what it means to Oracle shops that…

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Support for DELETE, UPDATE methods in Power BI Data Gateway REST API

Hello,

It would be great if there was the functionality to delete specific data through the Power BI Gateway for live streaming. For example, if someone is submitting something on a client application and it goes through the gateway to display on someone's dashboard there should be a way to reverse that submission and delete it resulting in it being deleted from the dashboard analytics.

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow recipients to share your dashboard

When a user click on share dashboard, default check box of "Allow recipients to share your dashboard" is available.

I like to see if this can be handled as on Tenant Setting, Power BI Service Administrator to disable for entire organization and allow only to specific groups like we have option for "Share content with external users" to enable/disable specific groups.

This option in the Tenant Settings will allow admin to decide which groups / users can share the dashboard if there's no RLS implemented.

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Enterprise Gateway Refresh and Direct Query of Active Directory

While the personal gateway is able to pull on Premise Active Directory, the Enterprise Gateway cannot. We cannot rely on an end user to keep their workstations on to report AD information.

3 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Power BI Gateway and Power BI Service support for "SQL Server Failover support"

Power BI Desktop has since January had support for "SQL Server Failover support" (robably Always On). But this is not supported from Power BI Service using a Power BI Gateway.

I don't know if there's a change needed in both the Service and the Gateway, but that's for Microsoft to sort out

Adding this would rapidly decrease the data needed to be upload to the Power BI Service via the Power BI Gateway. It would also provide near RT access to data

5 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Allow multiple credentials for the same Database in Enterprise Gateway

Currently we get a "Duplicate data source" error when trying to create a second connection with different credentials to the same DB.
                                The use case is where we have both sensitive and non-sensitive data in a SQL database. We'd like to create two connections to this DB, so that a superset of users can pulish non-sensitive data, but only those authorised can publish sensitive data.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Lost credentials

I've been using the personal gateway for over two years and just started getting refresh errors on most of my dashboards daily. All of my data sources are on prem csvs, and show credential errors where they are are 'invalid' or 'missing' credentials. In many cases this disables my refresh schedule going forward. Any thoughts on how to resolve this would be appreciated.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Gateway diagnostics / performance tracking

Currently there seems to be no real logging or diagnostics information available from the Enterprise gateway.

Would be helpful levels of diagnostic logging were possible and also performance tracking details of what the gateway is doing

3 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• MariaDB support

Add MariaDB to the supported database engines for extended connection report and Direct refresh

6 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Power Query functions in URL using a web data source under on-premise data gateway

Add the ability to use Power Query functions in the source string not only for the PowerBI Desktop, but also to on-premise data gate
                                        Now It's not supported to type Power Query functions as web URL when we create a web data source under on-premise data gateway

227 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Gateways (Enterprise and Personal)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Add Translations support to Gateway

The translations of multidimensionnal cubes seems not supported by any gateway. Could you please provide this kind of functionality ?

4 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.