Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Use Internal SQL queries instead of M language

Why do we need to learn another language when we already know SQL for data preparation? 

SQL is much more flexible and simpler that M language, and can use Partition and windows function. 

Power BI users need to lean DAX functions and M Language and it is very frustration to learn 2 new languages for one tool, so why don't we just use SQL and DAX functions and eliminate to need to learn M language. 

SAS did it with 'PROC SAS' and there is no reason that Microsoft won't be able to do it too.

125 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Power Query parameter to decide to refresh or not

I would love to have a formula in PQ that decides whether the query needs a full refresh or not. Currently, we can manually select if we want a query to be "included in report refresh". But let's say a huge flat file has not changed since the last refresh - then it's a waste of resource to do a full refresh until it changes. Thanks!

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Stop Executing Queries Multiple Times

I create a query in Power BI Desktop against a data source. Power BI Desktop insists on executing it multiple (usually three) times. This makes Desktop slow and for back-end data sources exerts additional load that can also incur additional costs.

Note: I am not talking about the scenario where a query is referred to multiple times in M, rather just a simple query loaded into one table in the data model. I assume the engine is checking data types, etc - but the current approach is very slow/painful. Optimisation is needed!

104 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. calculated column

Provide the report writer the ability to add calculated columns through the Modeling tab in PBI Desktop, when the report writer has sourced a common data model (Get Data>Powerbi Datasets)

At current, although the report writer has build permissions to the common data model, they are not able to add a calculated column.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Export Column Profiles as a Table

my customers love the new column profiling feature in Power Query. With the GA today, it is even better. One thing I have been asked for a few times now is the ability to export the column profile data as the result of a query. Ideally this could be exported to Excel for further investigation, or simply return it to ta table in Power BI for further investigation.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Fix the erroneous weekNum and Date.WeekOfYear

WeekNum and Date.WeekOfYear are showing wrong week numbers in some cases.
    Please fix this or add a function equivalent to Excel's "IsoWeekNum(date)".
    Test dates example with the result of Date.WeekOfYear():

30.12.2019 53
    31.12.2019 53
    01.01.2020 1
    02.01.2020 1
    03.01.2020 1
    04.01.2020 1
    05.01.2020 1

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. One Common Function for all tables

Hi,

Like other programming languages why don't power BI have one function for all tables.

Lets say i have 5 tables each table have one column and i am performing some steps on it like removing 2 3 delimiters and then taking some left and right values.

so this yields 4 5 steps in one query.

so issue here is again we need to perform those 4 5 step in each 5 tables.

My idea is why don't we have one function for all and we just need to call that function by providing table name and column name as…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Table.TransformColumns - enable referencing of other columns

Please enable referencing of other columns in Table.TransformColumns.

Now when I want to edit values in existing column based on other columns, I have to do 4 steps, because I cannot reference other columns directly in Table.TransformColumns.

1 - create conditional/custom column
    2 - delete the original source column
    3 - rename the new column
    4 - reorder columns

If I could reference other columns in Table.TransformColumns, only one step would be needed:

1 - TransformColumns - condition directly here

Please consider this request

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Group/ Binning with Live Connection

Provide grouping and binning functionality against live data. In particularly against live data from SSAS Tabular data cubes.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Include Count and count distinct like quick measure

Count and count distinct, are one of the most tipical measure with data.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Power BI with Jupyter Notebook Interactivity

As a Data Analyst, I work a lot with Power BI in one part and Jupyter notebooks in the other part to explore datasets. Notebooks are perfect to explicitly show the different phases of analyzing data. Power BI is the perfect solution to create rich dynamic reports with top notch visuals.

What about a creating a Power BI connector for Jupyter notebooks. Or being able to attach a Jupyter notebook to Power Query to combine the best of both worlds. I know that there is a Python Script capability inside Edit Query, but we want much more :)

Disclaimer: I…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Option to promote headers directly in the navigator popup

When you load data. It would be great if an option to promote headers appeared straight away in the navigator.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Export table as dataset

Many times we discover certain data attributes and would like a larger picture with those attributes applied across the dataset or to be used in a different but similar dataset. This often involves going back to the query and preparing to add the attribute or splitting the attributes tables into multiple excels and joining and adding back to the data set. It would make a lot of "ease of use" sense to be able to right click and add the table straight to the intended dataset.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. There is no Redo Option/Feature in Applied Steps

There is no Redo Button. In case I delete a steps in Applied Steps category, i can not redo it so i there is no option left to close the pbix and create all the transformations again.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow to save Excel Workbook from Power Query Editor

When you work from Excel with Power Query editor you can not save the development steps that you have done on queries directly. You always first need to close the Power Query editor window, keep the changes and then save the workbook. After this you need to reopen the editor to continue with the query development work. Why no 'keep changes & save workbook'- button in the editor? Would be a great time saver

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. The navigation tabs reports, table and relationship should be able to view them in independent windows.

The navigation tabs report, table, and relationship should be able to view them in independent windows.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Tabular Model Both Single Grain (cross filter) vs Multiple Grain (M:1)best chosen based on User Query

Modeling Kimball conformed stars into one semantic model requires all facts to dimension joins be M:1. even the Junk/drill to detail dimension has to be M:1 from fact to dim. This works exactly as expected to support drill across. Single grain model for one data mart can support cross filter for everything so the use can choose attributes without any metric and is very user friendly. Could we model each data mart as single grain cross filter AND as part of the one larger semantic model and then at run time, PBI uses the single grain when only one measure…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Preparation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. In Power Query, Keep Rows is not very intuitive.

In Power Query, Keep Rows is not very intuitive. E.g Keep Errors should be Keep Errors Only, same for Keep Duplicates. Currebtly it gives the impression that we want to keep all rows INCLUDING error rows.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Group by with mode (modal value) measure

When using the "Group by" function we can choose between some measures (or functions) like min, max etc.

I think that could be awesome to have also mode value (modal value) that will be very interesting for some kind of data!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Parent-Child hierarchies

Actually parent-child hierarchies are managed only if there are no empty values in the parent column and, in that case, you have tu add a row to add the empty key and manage the default/empty values. After that, you have to use PATH/LOOKUPVALUE DAX functions to add descriptions columns to use in the hierarchy.
    This process is heavy and static (if a new level is add, a new column is needed).
    An automatic process in the load phase (like qlik sense) should be nice.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 45 46
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.