Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add WMS map layers

I would like to be able to add WMS layers (and ideally other map services) to the maps in PowerBI. Bing is great for a lot of things but there are a ton of WMS servers out there including services companies have spent time and money developing It would be nice to use those custom maps with PowerBI.

66 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to sort the individual stacks within a stacked bar chart

There is a way to sort the overall bars when multiple bars are created in a chat of this type (top right corner), but the ability to decide which category stack is displayed on top and which one at the bottom of the single columns seems to be missing. The workaround I found (creating and connecting a new column to the data with artificially spaced names, and then using this new column in the legend field of the chart) looks overly complicated.

65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Add tooltips to table values.

I will often use ratios in my tables and I would like to be able to allow a user to point at a value/cell and see the tooltip of the numerator and denominator so they have a frame of reference rather than having to include the numerator and denominator in their own columns. Also, I'd like to be able to add tooltip descriptions to column headers so users are able to get a description of how a column is calculated and what it means.

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. "KPI" visual element does not allow to change number´s size

This type of visual element does not permit to change the numbers size nor to edit or quit the "tick" or "cross" element attached to the number. It would be great if you add these features to the visual element. At the end of the day, it makes it complete.

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Enable more data label options instead of % on 100% Stacked Column Chart

100% Stacked Column Chart only shows data labels in %. Please, enable more options (None, Millions, billions, thousands, etc.) for data labels.

Sometimes we want to compare the amounts on each column, but not compare each column using the 100% Stacked Column Chart. It limits us by allowing only data labels in percentage.

62 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Export Theme as JSON file

Once you have created a report, and taken many hours to manually formatted colors, fonts, grids, charts, cards and other visuals, allow for those settings to be exported as a theme (JSON file) that you can use use it in other reports.

61 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Repeater for Power BI Charts

The Idea is to create a repeater charting component with horizontal and vertical repeat but enables to embed existing charts within (ex. KPI card listing, multi-guage listing etc...)

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Select All option for chiclet slicer

Chiclet slicers are great and it's nice that the 'clear selection' option has been added. However, it would be great if there was a 'select all' option, or if the 'clear selection' button toggled all to none and back.

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Axis inversion

There should be a field button for inverting the axis. For example, instead of the Y-axis moving upwards from 0 to 100 it should be able to flip and start at 100 and move upwards to 0.

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. TopN to include other

Allow top N filter within visualization to aggregate remaining balances to other automatically

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. labels scatter value

Ability to display values in a scatter plot. Today you can only select the series name (details). I think would be good to have the name and the value (size) or other parameters of the bubble.

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Multi-line column headers for tables with word wrap

There are a lot of excel formatting features that would be nice in Power BI but at the top of my list is word wrapping for long column heading names. For example, Proposed Fund Purchase Price would wrap to
    |Proposed Fund |
    |Purchase Price |
    | $120,000|
    because the data in that column would fit nicely under that text and I could fit more columns on my table.

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Custom links in Power BI visuals

As custom visuals run in sandbox mode, we are now unable to implement links in custom visuals using anchor <a> tag to link them to third party URLs and making them clickable.

There should be a way to create custom links in Power BI visuals to navigate them to third party URLs.

For Example:
    Creating a KPI custom visual and making it clickable to show more information regarding the KPI.

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Power BI maps - within the radius of a location

Let's say I have a map of the US, filled with the locations of 100 000 companies all around the country. It would be nice to have an option to get every company that lies within x miles of a selected location.

A way to do this could be:
    - You click on a location on the map (this will be the center)
    - Drag your mouse away from that location and release the mousebutton. This way you create a circle around that location.
    - Every company within that circle gets highlighted and other Visuals get filtered based on that.

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow the gauge color to change dynamically based on whether the Target has been exceeded (easy to spot when the value "goes red")

Allow the gauge color to change dynamically based on whether the Target has been exceeded. If I set the default to the color of my choosing, it would be important for the color to change if the target value is met/exceeded (i.e. from red to green when we finally make enough money, from green to red when we experience too much downtime, etc.)

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Bar + Dot combo chart

I need a visual for bar + dot. Bar + line implies time relationship between columns which doesn't make sense for my case

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Traffic Light Report.

I'd love to be able to build a simple Traffic Light Report using Power BI. Something like: projects/products on the rows, and their status per month in the columns.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. data labels

In Excel, you have the option of deciding what a Data Label shows, such as the series, category, or value. In Power BI Line Chart it only allows you to display the value. Please add in more granular options to allow Series/Category to display instead.

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Font

How is it not possible to not be able to change the font type and size in a custom visual. If I can't change the font to what my company uses how can I use this for presentations?

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Variable Width Bar Charts

Would like the addition of a built-in visualization for variable width bar charts. None of the current visuals appear to have the ability to alter the width of the bars.

Coding such a chart in R is a modest undertaking with the help of the below walkthrough, but well beyond a basic PowerBI user. It would be great if this one were included as part of the base package of visuals, or available as a custom visual from the MS Store.

http://radacad.com/variable-width-column-chart-writing-r-codes-inside-power-bi-part-4

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.