Power BI Ideas

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. please return the drill down function to each visualiyation

I would appreciate return of Drill down (explore) functionality to each visualization. the change to new explore functionality just decrease the flexibility of quick changes in the visualizations. For me it is time consuming, less intuitive, less flexible. will be great to understand if there is a possibility to return this.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Drill Down Labeling

Histogram drill down could be improved by adding labels that show the drill down path. Example: If I drill down "2016" --> "Q1", a label could display the year. Such labels could prevent confusion along the lines of "Is that Q1 2014, 2015 or 2016?"

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Accounting Equation Visual

Many users are financials, so, make an Accounting Equation Visual, example: http://jandp.biz/is/apps/accounting/gnucash/doc/GnuCashGuide/figures/basics_AccountRelationships.png
    One needs the possibility to put in 4 measures. INCOME, ASSETS, LIABILITIES and EXPENSES. The Equity can be calculated on the spot. Also provide a PLAY button, then one can see the development over time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. notify custom visual updates

Add option to update custom visuals when new versions are posted. Since PowerBI is on a monthly release schedule, new updates frequently break custom visuals that I like to use. Many times the custom visuals are updated after the PowerBI update, however we have to manually update them. It would be nice if we were notified that a new version was available, we could then also be provided with the option to update.

This would work exactly like when I log into PowerBI desktop today, if a new version is available I am prompted to update.

It would also be…

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your input and feedback!
    Could you elaborate on this?
    Do you need a way to know when the version is automatically updated or a way to stop automatic updates. because Power BI visuals from AppSource library are updated automatically when a new version is updated in the AppSource.

6. funnel

I would like to customize funnelChart, like determining the 100% value, showing the percentage difference between the upper bar from the lower bar.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Share imported visualizations between reports

When downloading and importing new visualizations from the Visuals Gallery, they only appear in the current report. If I work on another report and want to use the same new visualization, I have to manually import it into that report. Can you make it so that any imported visualizations are shared between all reports, so that we don't have to waste time repeatedly importing them into every report that we work on?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add a bolding option (icon) to the Column and Row headers (in Format options)

I’d like to see a bolding option (icon) added to the Column and Row headers (in the Format options in the Visualisations panel).
    Without a bolding option, (depending on the colour used for conditional formatting when available), column and row headers on tables and matrix's in particular could disappear. Right now, they just don't stand out compared to the data displayed on a table or matrix. I think they need to.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Adding total value in Donut chart

I want to have the total value displayed in the middle of the Donut chart, so that the reader can grab the whole picture more quickly.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Matrix - Sort columns by value

Matrix currently doesn't allow you to sort the columns based on designating values as being a priority above the column field names.
    For example, my field in the columns section results in three columns. If you add two sets of values, you are forced to see: Column 1, Value 1, Value 2, Column 2, Value 1, Value 2, etc. Like in a Pivot Table, you should be able to prioritize values so that it shows as: Column 1, Column 2, Column 3, Value 1, Column 1, Column 2, Column 3, Value 2.

312 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Timeline slicer - add Decade level

Extend the Timeline slicer to show Decade as a higher level above Year. This could appear automatically e.g. if the dates span more than 20 years, and could appear based on a setting.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Be able to copy an item from a table or matrix and paste it outside of the Power BI app.

In either a table or matrix, be able to select an item and copy the text and paste it outside of the app.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Have search boxes in the slicer visual to search for items in the slicer

Include a simple search text box in the item slicer visual that allows a person to narrow down the list of items as they type in the search box similar to Excel.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. chart sorting by a value not displayed in the chart

The use case in point is sorting by absolute value while displaying actual values. there are workarounds by "hiding" the absolute value in the chart, but this causes a less visually appealing chart.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Gantt Visualization - Freeze timeline when scrolling down list of tasks

Currently the Gantt Visualization displays the timeline at the top. If I have many tasks and scroll down, the timeline moves off screen. I suggest that the timeline be locked in place so that we can still see the timeline even when scrolling down the list of tasks.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Donut and Pie Charts - % of the Wedge

Dears:

Recently (I think with Abril update), we have the ability to see in both, Pie and Donut charts, the value and % of the total when you mouse-over the wedge itself.

Secondly, if you select in another graph and you come back with your mouse over the Wedge, you can see the % of the total for the whole wedge and the highlighted value (in value and % too), representing this again the % of the total over the total graph value

But, now, here goes my question. What about the % that the highlighted part represent over the…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Use Deploy R functionalities in PBI Report

It would be great to embed the Deploy R functionalities in reports and dashboards to enable more powerfull users to work with PBI rendering.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. fence selection on map points

Add the ability to fence or polygon select on map points.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. add skyline chart

skyline chart is very popular in my industry, it will be nice if there are supported by power bi

see this post for an example
    http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/SKYLINE-Chart-in-Power-BI-Desktop/m-p/33069#M11640

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Improve customs visuals quality

On the one hand, custom visuals are great. Thanks to the engaged community we have new visualizations.

On the other hand, those visuals are buggy, unoptimized, not fully integrated, lacking functionality and sometimes of poor visual quality.

Hope the PowerBI team picks up on the shortcomings and improves them or release their own official versions.

Please vote ;)

184 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Tzvi Keisar responded

We are investing to constantly improve the custom visuals and the platform. performance, reliability, feature-set, etc.
    Most visuals are maintained by the community, and we encourage them to improve. recently the custom visuals gallery was migrated to the Office store, where reviews and ratings are available, so I encourage you to go and review visuals and ask for features directly from the developers.
    You can also use the dedicated community site to suggest ideas: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Custom-Visuals-Ideas/idb-p/CustomVisualsIdeas

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.