Power BI Ideas

How can we improve Power BI?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Custom Viz access to the previous levels in a drill-down

The current version of Power BI visualsation framework does not support access to the previous levels in a drill-down. I.e. you only get access to the current level when rendering. That makes it very hard to develop visualizations such as pivot tables or breakdown trees.

This would let custom viz developers add thing like pivot tables and Breakdown Trees :)

[This idea was created as an offshoot of https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/15844186-pivot-tables-and-breakdown-trees. Fredrik had initially asked for updates to the Custom Viz API, but many votes and comments were cast assuming the idea was just asking for the Power BI team to…

3,048 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

97 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you everyone for the comments and votes. We’re looking into what could be done here. To be transparent, so far our findings are that the infra to do this right for the long term is actually a very large intricate work item. So I cannot say when we could actually delivery this capability. Our current focus with custom visuals is to continue filling in the existing features into our stable APIs so that custom visuals are fully compatible version on version. This itself is vital work in the custom visuals area both for our custom visual authors/developers and for users who depend on the visuals day in and day out. Appreciate your using Power BI, keep the suggestions coming! We read every comment you make, even if we’re not able to respond to every single one.

• Pivot tables and breakdown trees

The current version of Power BI visualsation framework does not support access to the previous levels in a drill-down. I.e. you only get access to the current level when rendering. That makes it very hard to develop visualizations such as pivot tables or breakdown trees. Make this possible and I would gladly submit a stable version of my Breakdown Trees :).

2,565 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

76 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We released a preview of a new matrix visual with today Power BI Desktop release. This new matrix can be used as a source of cross-highlighting, has a stepped layout, can be drilled in to /out of hierarchies, and has performance updates.

You can read all about it in our blog post: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-march-feature-summary/#matrix

During the preview we will be adding even more new features, so keep watch each month for more improvements and let us know in comments what else you’d like to see.

• KPI Icon sets for use in table and matrix visualizations

Many of the Power BI Community have come from a background of using Power Pivot in Microsoft Excel. Excel had a fantastic way of using built-in conditional KPI icon functionality to add impact and information to table and matrix visualizations. The red-yellow-green circle icon set is valuable as an easy-to-interpret indicator of whether something is on track (or not) against defined goals.

This functionality is glaringly absent from the Power BI Desktop. There was a previous request for tis that has been marked as “completed”, but it’s still missing.

289 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Custom Territory for Power BI Map.

It should be possible to create a custom territory in Power BI. Not every Organization uses Continent, Country, State & Province or County for Mapping. Some Organizations want to create customer sales territories which is hugely valuable in getting granular into your Data.

Currently this feature is available in Tableau.
          http://powertoolsfortableau.com/tools/drawing-tool

This will also eliminate the use of Location Intelligence software as a counterpart when analyzing data.

240 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Custom Visuals Enabled every time Power BI Desktop launches

The idea would be that Custom Visuals can be downloaded to a local desktop "library". Then, each time you launch Power BI, all Custom Visuals would be available along with the Default Visuals. Having to import the Custom Visual each time you create a new .PBIX file is a pain!

221 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Improve customs visuals quality

On the one hand, custom visuals are great. Thanks to the engaged community we have new visualizations.

On the other hand, those visuals are buggy, unoptimized, not fully integrated, lacking functionality and sometimes of poor visual quality.

Hope the PowerBI team picks up on the shortcomings and improves them or release their own official versions.

Please vote ;)

119 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Gantt by Time and Planned v Actual

The Gantt Visual should allow greater granularity i.e. include time: Hours, Minutes, Seconds. This should be part of the axis and duration.

An alternative to "Completion" could be an 'actual' input i.e. [Actual Started] and [Actual Ended]. This will show Planned v Actual in a Gantt.

113 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Printing custom visualizations

It would be helpful to be able to print custom visualizations to PowerPoint. Currently there is just a message saying that the visualizations are not currently supported. Even allowing the visuals to be frozen in a picture format would be acceptable. Thanks.

111 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Data Search Bar

Creating a simple search bar feature within a view would make things easier for those who don't understand the data sets. They could search for a number and see all line hits within all dataset within the view. This is a mass search whereas filters and slicers are just for a single column.

107 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • A Venn diagram visual

Ability to insterect various shapes and have sizes dynamically associated to a metric (include option for viewing as ratio or both)

81 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Organisation structure

Custom visual to represent information such as an organisation structure. Similarly could be used as Work breakdown structure (WBS), cost, risk etc.

66 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Change column labels/names in the visual

It would be great if we could change columns labels/names in the standard visuals (Table & Matrixes mainly). In our company we have a data warehouse build to support the PowerBI tabular model with the data. The field names in the data model are not the most intuitive to our PowerBI End User. It could be great if we could change the way the field labels are shown in our tables to be more intuitive and meaningful without needing to change the field names in the data model.

62 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Slider / Slicer for Values

We now have a great Slicer for dates, which is presented as a Slider, but it would be great to have a similar Slider Slicer for values too.

eg, If I have a field called 'Customer Balance' and want to give the end user the ability to filter down between two values (Customer Balances between 1000 & 10000), then a standard Slicer is not suitable as it just lists the balances. A Slider based Slicer will fill this role.

44 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Hierarchical Tree Map with Interactive Visualization

Treemaps display hierarchical (tree-structured) data as a set of nested rectangles. Each branch of the tree is given a rectangle, which is then tiled with smaller rectangles representing sub-branches.

Refer to the below Sample links:
                              http://vizuly.io/product/weighted-tree/?demo=d3js

OR
                              http://bl.ocks.org/mbostock/4063550

44 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Customize values in matrices and tables

I'd like to be able to define the detail level (hundreds, thousands, millions, etc) and the number of decimal places, (0.##, 0.###, etc) for the values displayed in matrix and table views.

41 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Custom links in Power BI visuals

As custom visuals run in sandbox mode, we are now unable to implement links in custom visuals using anchor <a> tag to link them to third party URLs and making them clickable.

There should be a way to create custom links in Power BI visuals to navigate them to third party URLs.

For Example:
                                  Creating a KPI custom visual and making it clickable to show more information regarding the KPI.

40 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • I use quite a few custom visualizations from the gallery - https://app.powerbi.com/visuals/. Often times these visualizations get updated an

I use quite a few custom visualizations from the gallery - https://app.powerbi.com/visuals/. Often times these visualizations get updated and I wouldn't even know what got changed. On the website, clicking on any of the visualizations would show only one screenshot. Why not show multiple screenshots and also list the changes with each version?

36 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Better navigation across reports / dashboards

Add a simple visual that will open another report or dashboard in the workspace, with a "back" button on the secondary report or dashboard. This will allow assignable navigation within the workspace and provide a rudimentary drill through capability. It should also allow a text descriptor for the link.

33 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Support for custom visuals in email subscriptions feature

Extend the email subscriptions feature, currently in public preview, to provide support for custom visuals.

More information about the email subscriptions feature can be found here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-email-subscriptions-in-power-bi-stay-informed-when-it-matters/

29 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Traffic Light Report.

I'd love to be able to build a simple Traffic Light Report using Power BI. Something like: projects/products on the rows, and their status per month in the columns.

29 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Custom Visuals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 24 25
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.